The NYSC Orientation Camp programme duration is 21 full days. The 21st day is the day you will leave the camp to your PPA (Place Of Primary Assignment). Once you see your name in the NYSC mobilization list, ensure that you do the following:
1. If you are posted to a far state, especially to the northern part of Nigeria, try and find friends, who may be heading towards the same direction. This help you feel relaxed and comfortable on your trip.
2. Ensure you buy your NYSC kit early to avoid last minute rush. The prices of NYSC kit tends to increase when the news of respective NYSC batches is out. You might be wondering why you would need extra white shirts, shorts, tennis and socks at the camp. This is because the ones provided at the orientation camps are of inferior quality and are useless.
3. Get the following documents and items ready. We listed the compulsory and optional items according to their preferences.
Best Time To Travel To NYSC Orientation Camp
Once the Call-Up letter is out, you will go ahead and open it to know where you have been deployed for the NYSC service year. The address of your orientation camp will be right on your call-Up letter and all you need to is get ready to enter camp and have the 21 days awesome experience.
Some of you will be posted far away to a place you have only heard of in the nursery rhyme state and capital, others will be sent to a strange state they have never been to before. The question now is when exactly will camp open and can you really be late to NYSC Camp?
When Exactly Will Camp Be Open?
The NYSC orientation camp will be open a day before the exact date of the camp. If camp opens by 18th of this month, by 17th, the camp will be open and soldiers and officials will be around. If you want to go a day before the exact date that camp will open, you will be allowed into the camp. Just go along with bread because camp will still be somehow empty on that day and you will not want to starve you tommy.
So you can go to camp a day before, you can go on that same day in case you are coming from a far place and according to your wish.
Can You Be Late To NYSC Camp?
Yes, you can be late to camp to the extent that you will not be allowed to enter again. The grace of lateness ends after the 3rd day. Although you might still be allowed to the camp after 4 or more days but my dear, you will need a very strong reason with prove.
If you will not be able to make it to NYSC camp on the exact day the camp opens, you can still go 3 days after. If camp opens on the 18th, you can still go on the 19th, 20th, 21st. Any day past these days, you will need a strong reason with evidence.
The Best Time To Enter Camp
This answer depends on you. If you are coming from a very far place, you can travel a day before, you can also travel , if you are eager and want to break a record nobody will recognize by becoming the first person to enter camp, you can go a day before.
Seven (7) Benefits Of Arriving Early To NYSC Orientation Camp
I wrote this article with the experience i gathered as a youth corp member and i want to believe it will help you understand the benefits of arriving early to NYSC orientation camp.
Are you a prospective corp member getting set for a three (3) weeks NYSC orientation camping? Are you the type of person that never really see the benefits of arriving early to any destination.
There are some persons with a habit of coming late for any occassion. Many of such persons would still come late to the camp.
Well, there might be some percieved benefits for them which we do not know. However, the benefits of coming to NYSC camp far outweigh that of coming late.
Benefits Of Arriving Early To NYSC Orientation Camp
- Arriving early would enable you meet a lot of other corp members who are on their way to the same state of deployment. Their company can lessen the stress of finding your way in this new place alone.
- Most often when you arrive at the major park of the city you will realize that there are free buses available to convey corps members to the camp. A privilege that is not available after a day or two.
- Next arriving early would allow you to follow along easily with the procedures involved in doing your registrations, filling forms, getting a comfortable room and also settling down.
- You also enjoy the privilege of selecting a good NYSC Kits for yourself. Most times, if you arrive late to camp, you are likely to get an oversize or extra large NYSC kits that are not your sizes.
- Settling down early would enable you to embrace your new environment and cut down some of the novice look on your face.
- Arriving early would also enable you to easily join some vital groups in the camp before entry is closed. These groups like Red cross, SDGs, OBS and some other important ones.
- In the process of joining some vital groups in the camp, you enjoy the privilege of meeting some NYSC camp officials that could help you facilitate your posting to a preferred place of primary assignment. These can only happen if you arrive early to camp.
NB: To make your stay at NYSC orientation camp smooth and more comfortable, travel to the state you were posted early especially for those posted to a far place. It is best you go the day before the camps opens as going late will make things quite stressful for you.