The Nigeria Music Industry
Are you looking for how to join Nigeria music industry, how to make it as an upcoming artist, music opportunities in nigeria, music marketing in nigeriaMusic is the food of the soul. To be sincere, everyone wants to provide food for others souls. Hence, there is high competition in the Nigeria music industry. However, to succeed in Naija music industry, you need to provide better if not the best music to Nigerians.
Popular musicians today like Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa savage, Teni, Mr Eazi…… are what they are because they have discovered a secret which I’m gonna share. Well, in this article, I have gathered perfect strategies to succeed in the music industry especially Lagos/Alaba Market and online. No time, let’s get started.
1. Set A Goal: A musician without a plan for his career is like a man traveling without a map. There is no doubt, the man will miss his way but if he has a map, all the way!. Same applied here, to succeed in Nigeria music industry, you should set goals you would love to achieve soon or later. Put down your plans in a paper, pray and work toward it. Boom!! You have succeeded.
2. Recruit Better Band: A tree can’t make a forest. Hence, you need to recruit some talented singers and instrumentalist to work with you. Before recruiting them, set a test to know their various standard. Recruiting backup with frog’s voice will destroy your entire career and having a bad drummer is an error. However, choose someone you can work with to achieve a common goal.
3. Improve Song Quality: Producing a song with high quality and not quantity should be your first priority as a musician. Nobody wants to listen to songs that make no sense or meaning. The quality of a music has nothing to do with long duration but great harmonic (combination of various instrument and voices that is pleasant to the ear). When singing, make sure lyrics of the song are well said. Most importantly, its beat should be perfect for your song. You can perhaps meet a DJ for that.
4. Follow Trends: Including trending word, phrase or clause in lyrics can also boost your music in the Nigeria music. A perfect example is a Nigerian musician named Chinko Ekun who embedded the phrase “no more insufficient money” in his song (Able God) lyrics which has made him succeeded in music industry. The phrase he added was popularly said by young money makers. Cultivate that habit too and you will see the result within time.
5. Get Connected: Don’t avoid audience from you. Moreover, you don’t now who might help in this career of yours, who knows if you can get a million from there. Meeting individuals with good name will not only earn you money, it will also boost your popularity as a musician. It should be noted that not all songs sung by popular musicians are great, but audience still buy, sing and love the song despite its boringness just because the composer is connected to someone they know.
6. Treat Your Career Like Business: Activities that has to do with money is regarded to as business. Hence, in as much you are earning in music industry (even if it’s low), it is now a business. Never take music with levity hand. Compose and make improvement in songs day and night (but you can sometimes rest when tried) because audience wants to listen to your music once more.
The Nigeria music industry is getting competitive these days. It’s more or less like survival of the fittest. Simply follow the guidelines provided here to scale through. May God bless your hustle.